Before you spend a lot of time and money on optimizing your website, first take a good look at the following essential check list to see if your ambitions to reach #1 on Google, Bing and Yahoo for your product or service are realistic and achievable, in relation to the manpower and finances you have available.
Do you have a website already published and fully operational? If yes, how is it doing? The key factors that will influence it’s current performance are..
- Age ( Search engines put more trust in a mature website, the older the better )
- Content ( The more relevant and useful editorial content, the better )
- Links ( The more links from reputable and relevant websites, the better )
Unique Selling Point – USP
What is unique or special about your product /service ?
- Design / Features
How strong is the competition for your product / service ?
- Barrier to entry (are there fully established powerful suppliers?)
- Is there a lot of competition?
- Are you able to devote a lot of time to optimizing your website?
- Do you have personnel who can do this for you?
- Are you prepared to invest in your website?